Thursday, February 11, 2016

Going again? Why?

“I should like to save the Shire, if I could - though there have been times when I thought the inhabitants too stupid and dull for words, and have felt that an earthquake or an invasion of dragons might be good for them. But I don't feel like that now. I feel that as long as the Shire lies behind, safe and comfortable, I shall find wandering more bearable: I shall know that somewhere there is a firm foothold, even if my feet cannot stand there again.” 
― J.R.R. TolkienThe Fellowship of the Ring

Great movie! Over the next month I will be visiting Paris, Budapest, London, Sao Paulo, and checking in with my family in Sofia as well.  Far from being an adventure, or what might be seen as wandering, I find I am traveling for different reasons.
I am going to Paris with my husband for healing.  We are saying it is for Valentine's Day and for my Birthday, but really it is just a break from some of the stress we have been experiencing over the last few months.  It will give us something to look forward to, something to smile about, and a chance to put some worries aside.  Flights and hotels are booked, and hopefully the cold weather will have kept some of the crowds away.
I am going to Budapest to support my son who will be competing in an international school swim meet there.  Since we moved to Europe I have not had the chance to attend any of my son's school events, and I am glad this will be possible.  Also, my brother lives in the city and I find I am looking forward to seeing him and his wife again.  Wherever we live, it is not always possible to reconnect with family and friends because of our busy schedules.  It is an 8 hour drive, but I'm sure it will be worth it.
I am going to London to meet up with my mother before we travel together to Brazil.  This trip to Brazil is an unexpected bonus for me.  I will be going back to the part of the world where I began. This is where my parents' began their life's work, their reason for choosing to spend their lives in Brazil, and to a people my mother has continued to support over the course of 50 years!  This is one of the places that defines me, and I haven't been back there for over 30 years.  I will be reconnecting with my roots.
So my travels over the next couple of months will be more about reconnecting with and supporting people who are important in my life.  And as Frodo says to Sam, "I am glad you are here with me."

No comments:

Post a Comment