Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Close Please

We get excited about new beginnings, but what is really satisfying, is a successful conclusion.

No, this isn't jail.  It is part of a medical complex where I had to go for a dental x-ray.  Navigating the medical system of a country you are not familiar with can be scary. We aim to have those things taken care of when at home.
My tooth broke last June, right before we were due to travel for the summer. I had tickets booked and hotel reservations, but this couldn't wait.  I had probably left it too long already, which is why I was having problems.  So I called the International Medical Center and found they could fit me in the next day.
I walked past the place twice before recognizing
the building. This was definitely not your American style dental office.  There was no one in the waiting room, no waivers to sign, and no expensive machinery.  The dentist saw me the front room and fixed my broken tooth temporarily in less than half an hour. I was OK to travel, and I would see her on my return for a more permanent crown.
Cost of filing: 40 BG lev or US$22
This started my series of visits to the place which only ended this week. Each time the diminutive Dr.V would meet me in the waiting room, ask me how I had been and show me through to her room.  There she would apologize in advance for any discomfort.  "It is good?" "Are you comfortable?" was her main concern, and my answer was always "yes". Despite her need to deaden my tooth, perform a root canal, and set and remove a crown three times just to make sure it was quite right, I was never in pain. I rather enjoyed my visits to the dentist, which was only a short distance from my home down the tree lined streets. Her cautiousness, rather than worry me, made me feel she was determined to give me the best possible. Cost of root canal: 210 BG lev or US$115
 As part of her need to check her work, Dr.V sent me down to get an x-ray of the tooth.  She didn't have the equipment on site for this. She gave me vague directions, "It is near the park, 3rd floor." I am still amazed I found it. It wasn't in the first building I entered, or the second. I found myself wandering around dimly lit corridors looking for someone to ask. All I found were locked doors and signs in Cyrillic. I started knocking on doors until one finally opened. I pointed at my mouth, the lady behind the door pointed down the hall.  I continued doing this until I knocked on the right door, and was ushered in. I gave the number of my tooth, and held the x-ray between my teeth. Cost: 5 BG lev or US$2.75
Dr.V seemed pleased with the x-ray. She said, "Come", and walked outside. In the backyard she showed me some samples of enamel... I was choosing the color for my crown. "This light better. Ready next week".
Cost of crown: 350 BG lev or US$192
After that I returned once again  expecting to start work on yet another crown.  "I think is good", she said and obviously didn't see the need for another crown. I was done. I thanked her profusely and promised to come again for a check up. As I was leaving, she stopped me. Apparently the receptionist had overcharged me for the crown, and I was owed 35 lev. She opened her own wallet and gave me the money. I don't think I will ever go to a dentist again who ends up giving me money! The Bulgarian dental system might not have the most up to date and expensive equipment, but it has a certain charm, and  is not at all an unpleasant experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment