Saturday, November 28, 2015

Thanks for Leftovers

I had Thanksgiving all planned this year. It would be the first year I ever attempted to cook.  Being British, my family didn't have the tradition, and we usually go over to friends and family and celebrate. This year I was going to accept the challenge of cooking the whole meal for my family in Sofia.
I even had my blog planned. I was going to share my adventures looking for a turkey, and recipes that didn't include canned pumpkin or creamed corn.
On Tuesday the world turned gray. I woke up aching and without energy. I wanted to stay in bed, but I had shopping to do, and a pie to make. I struggled through the preparations, feeling lonely and unappreciated. My family like the idea of eating a meal, but not enough to take part in the peeling, chopping, measuring and mixing.  I don't even remember finally siting down to eat.  I got through it. My family retired to their rooms and their individual pastimes, and I was left with the kitchen to clean up. Thankful?
 I have nothing to be thankful for.


At this point leftovers are a hassle.  They need to be wrapped, refrigerated and sorted. The turkey needs to be separated from the carcass and boiled for soup.  I finally collapsed in bed with an awful headache. My neighbors above, who are constantly renovating, started drilling, and my sons played loud rock music. Could things get worse? I should see a doctor, but I don't know any doctors here in Sofia.
I have nothing to be thankful for.

Jon went with me to the doctor on Friday morning. I had phoned the Medical Center where I see my dentist, and the doctor there could fit me in. He met us at the entrance and introduced himself in perfect English. He gave us the impression he had been waiting for us to arrive.  I immediately liked the doctor. He took care of me right away. No, there were no forms to fill out as I was already in the system. After a couple of tests on site, the doctor was able to prescribe an antibiotic that should take care of the problem. He couldn't charge me now as his computer was down, but he would be in touch. No need to schedule another appointment to go over the test results. He would phone me.
I was very grateful. Maybe I have something to be thankful for.

We stopped off on the walk home for a cuppa in our favorite coffee shop, and to pick up the prescription from a local pharmacy. The lady didn't speak English but was able to give me what I needed. I asked her to repeat the price twice. "3.80 leva."  I couldn't believe the medication could cost only $2.
"Blagodarya"   I was grateful I was only a short walk away from home with the medicine I needed to feel better.
Maybe I have something to be thankful for.


I came home to turkey soup with dumplings, and leftover apple pie. I was feeling better already and settled back on the couch. The power went off, putting the whole house into darkness. The boys came out of their rooms, used their phones to find candles, and gathered around me on the couch. It didn't last long, but those were the best moments of my week.  Just being together in the dark, talking and sharing the moment.  I was grateful for them being there, with me.

The lights came on, and everyone went back to what they were doing before.  But that short period of darkness had shown me that we can pull together when all the food,  the eating, the tradition obligations and electricity are over and done.
I am thankful for the leftover parts... and feeling a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment