Thursday, October 8, 2015

Riposo: Italian Rest Time

Every time we pack up and move we go through an exhausting set of emotions. We decide what to pack, and how it should be packed. We make the trips to the car and pack the car. We make last minute checks to make sure we haven't forgotten anything. We gas up the car, get out the maps, program the GPS.
Almost every day for the last four weeks has been like this. Because, on this trip, we are now in our tenth country, there have been international decisions to make as well. Do I have enough cash? Will I need my passport? What currency is used here and what is the exchange rate? Where can I find a ATM?
On the roads there are signs in a different language, different speed limits, tunnels and roundabouts to navigate, and various tolls and road taxes to pay. Apart from the most important goal of arriving safely, I find these and other details draining, and am always relieved to arrive at the new destination and park the car.
Today we arrived at our 16th hotel/airb&b/apartment/guest house for the night. I felt tired and in need of some rest time. In Vicenza I was introduced to this Italian tradition of "riposo" at lunch time. Many businesses close from 12:30 till 3:00pm, school children go home for a long lunch, and the streets look nearly deserted. Sounds like a good idea, go home to your family, eat and rest a little.
Our current Bed&Breakfast in La Spieza has lovely floor to ceiling windows with shutters that open our onto balconies with a view of the streets below. I decided this was a good place to take a rest, eat, and reconnect with family and friends via email/SKYPE and Facebook.
While looking at train times for tomorrow, and familiarizing myself with my solo route on Saturday, I was interrupted by two Skype calls from Jon and my mother. I had to explain to them where I was on a map, but Jon assured me that he and the boys would be meeting me in Florence on Saturday. I chatted with my son, Ben, and a friend in Sofia, and reconnected with a friend from my high school in Brasilia. This, and the light refreshment of olives, cheese and focaccia bread, was enough to recharge my batteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment