Saturday, October 24, 2015

Savoring the Season

It is fall, and I relish the season. I've never been one to dwell on the seasons before. I grew up in Brazil where there are barely two seasons, the dry season and the rainy season. Holidays passed by in a comfortable 80 degrees. We marked our calendars by the first rain and the appearance of the scissor-tailed flycatcher. The dishes we ate didn't vary, and holiday baking in the heat of December was a chore. We made our plans without even considering the weather. Our tennis match started at 5 pm, all year round.
Since then I have lived in the Marshall Islands, with weather just as beautiful. The seasons there are: the windy season and the season with no wind. It makes little difference to your plans to fish, snorkel, golf or any other outdoor pursuit. We learned to avoid the heat of the day, but even that wasn't a problem if you were in or on the water.
I have experienced fall before, but it has been a season of unsettling deflation. The end of summer, and warmth, is not exciting. This is a time to worry about winter coming, and whether you have warm enough clothes. This is a time to adjust to a new place, new job and duties. Change isn't always easy, and the newness can be scary. Then there is the stress of the approaching holidays: travel plans to be made, gifts to buy, parties to attend, and menus to plan. As much as I like Christmas, I don't really like "making" Christmas. There are too many expectations.
Sometimes the holidays distract us from the winter season. This can be a good thing if you are living in Minnesota. The winter is cold, bleak, dark and unending. No amount of fudge making and gingerbread will get you through that winter in high spirits. The amount of clothes to put on, and the amount of work needed to do anything outside is overwhelming. It is easier to stay in, and hibernate. And look forward to spring.

Waiting for snow can be just as disappointing. I found myself hoping for bad weather, a snow day, just to add excitement.
Similarly, my experience with English seasons lacked excitement. There is rain in summer, rarely snow in winter, and an early spring that comes without promise of warmer weather. You cannot base your plans on good weather, or you'll never plan anything. Just make sure you have an umbrella and find a tea shop.
I was surprised, last year, to find that I was enjoying the winter here in Sofia. The snow was so pretty and didn't disrupt travel. As long as I had on a coat and a good pair of boots, I was fine to go out. The city buildings, parks and mountains always lifted my spirits when blanketed in snow.
Snow can get old after a while, but Sofia's snow came and went in a timely fashion. Fresh snow for the skiers, melting snow on the streets, then more fresh snow for the children to play in the parks. It was not a reason to stay inside, rather an opportunity to go out and enjoy. It made me feel Christmassy, and I started planning how to make all those holiday treats I have heard about. Fortunately, IKEA sells gingerbread dough, and England isn't far away with mincemeat pies. And cold is a reason to have hot drinks like cider and mulled wine.

Spring came as if ordered on March 1st. The local traditions force everyone outside to notice the first signs of spring. The flowers and blossoms come despite the snow. Nothing can stop spring in Bulgaria. And I couldn't stay inside, not wanting to miss the colors unfolding around the city.And they didn't come all at once. The snowdrops, then the blossoms, lilacs, tulips, and roses, all came in their time. Spring lasted for months, and I enjoyed every day.
I can't remember summer starting. I was too busy keeping track of the strawberries, cherries and other seasonal delights arriving in the market. It was time to plant, travel and dig out the flip flops again. Summer is always about fun.
I also noticed the colors fade. My flowers suffered from the heat, and lack of rain. The sky seemed less blue and the green began to look tired. I started looking forward to fall for the first time. Bring on the warmer colors and cooler temperatures. I am ready this year. I have closed-toed shoes and  a scarf. I know what to expect, and am anticipating the joys of the season to come. I will go out looking for ingredients and start baking. I will go to the opera, travel to be with family and order gifts on line. I will savor the season!
Seasonal Greetings to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment