Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Boris Style

The bay of Kotor is an amazing place. I have been here before, but somehow totally missed the old town of Kotor on the bay. I am so glad to be able to have chance to come back and explore. This time I wouldn't miss climbing up on the old fortified walls behind the town, despite the fact that my travelling companions were less than enthusiastic. We set off early and slowly. When I asked DC and Mo whether they were ready for this, the ticket taker replied, "Obviously not."
The steps led to stunning views, but were only wide enough for one abreast. I was curious as to what turned out to be stair-climbing etiquette. There were no hard and fast rules as to who gave way to who, but this is what I noticed, which seemed to be based on age, gender and shoe choice. Younger women never stepped aside, neither did younger men, but the men were often shamed into thanking me when I stepped aside for them. Older men always stepped aside for me to pass, but then expected me to step aside for their wives, causing an awkward figure "8" dance move. Older women traveling solo stepped aside if they had thought to wear appropriate footwear for climbing.
 We met Boris while on the Free Walking Tour of Plovdiv, and he had a curious style for a guide of delivering information about a place to interested tourists. It consisted of a continuous stream of open-ended questions, to which we had to guess the answer to. Often the guessing went on way too long, causing the group to lose interest, but the "Boris Style" will forever make us laugh. So in honor of Boris, here is a guide to... does anyone know where we are?
What do you think is sitting on the walls in the picture above?
How old do you think the town is?
How many steps do you think there are to reach the top of the fortifications?
Why do you think it is incorrect to call this the Mediterranean's only fjord?
How many churches do you think there are within the walls?
What do you think the strange stone pyramid in front of the clock tower was used for?
How often do you think the huge cruise ships come into port?
Can you find all three gates in the outer walls?

No comments:

Post a Comment