Sunday, September 27, 2015

Cobblestones and Chimney Cakes

I had a free day in Budapest. ...So much to do and so much to see. DC and Mo ambitiously chose two walking tours and a cruise.  I decided to set off without a map, plan or guide book and choose my own path.
In the past I have done cruises, bus tours, walking tours and drive-by's. I prefer to walk my own path because it is cheaper, goes at my own pace, and doesn't need planning. Also, I am without the pressure of having to see certain sights, or understand everything I see. This is my walk through the Buda part of Budapest.
I started up Gellert Hill from Bakator House, where we have been staying. Then down through the park I have been calling "The Garden of Philosophy", because of the statues on the highest level.  When I reached the Danube, I turned east along the bank and prepared to climb up to the Castle District. There are several ways to go up: cobblestone path, stairs, an escalator, a funicular railway, and even an elevator. I opted for the escalator, of course, for even though I enjoy climbing steps, there is a limit.
I already have plenty of beautiful pictures of the views of the city from on top in better weather, so I looked around for something new.  I noticed the new renovations to the old walls, using such a variety of brick and stone that they often appeared like patchwork.  The charming fountain of children playing with a fish wasn't spouting today. There was colorful embroidery and dried paprika for sale. And a couple were making and selling fresh chimney cakes.

I was grateful that I wasn't on a tour, because I definitely stood in line for one of these. 
I enjoyed the Neo-Gothic details on the Matyas Church which has been rebuilt several times. It is hard to believe its age, with multicolored glazed tiles on the roof. 
Walking down from the Castle, I cut through an underpass towards Gellert Hill. There are a mysterious set of stone steps and arches cut into the cliff where Bishop Gellert was thrown to his death in a sealed barrel. The steps led me past an unexpected waterfall, then up through the park to "Philosopher's Garden" again. I had completed my walk and was looking forward to some lunch back at Bakator House.
On the doorstep I found a yellow brick, just like those used to pave the roads in the center of Sofia, Bulgaria. I remembered someone telling me that the bricks had been originally made in Budapest especially for the cobblestones of the Bulgarian capital when it was built. I felt almost as if my walk had brought me back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment